Thursday, October 13, 2011

Crochet Sea Formations ~ Inspired by Nature



Happy Thursday everyone!


I am so excited to show you my latest project I have been working on!


I just created this sea wall display in my front hallway!


The inspiration all started when I visited my favorite local artist here in Boulder, David Jessup, The Green Collar Guy!


He makes all the the beautiful artistic planters in my house that I have been collecting for years.


This year when I visited him at the Boulder Fall Festival, I was thrilled to find his new creations ... wall sculptures!




I knew I had to have them and fill them with fiber creations!


I did not know what I would create, but I knew it would be FUN!


I sat down and started crocheting organic shapes just like I did for my moss terrariums with my favorite Amazing Yarn from Lion Brand.


The fabulous changing colors and soft texture of this yarn inspire me to make brand new things every time I touch it!


I did not follow any patterns, I just let my hands take over every evening and a new Sea Creature would appear!




I love incorporating other artists' works with my own to make it richer and more complete.

I went searching on Etsy for something wonderful and unique and look what I found!





As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to have them!


The hardest part was picking which ones to get!


Denise has the most wonderful pieces for your home and can be hung either inside or out!



I cannot wait to get more for the garden!




The two little pods at the bottom of the photo are actually Denises's mushroom magnets that are stuck to the nail heads I used to hang the ceramic form that David created!


How cool is that?

They are decorative and functional at the same time!


My contribution to this piece is the crochet drift wood with barnacles and tiny squid!




I had so much fun creating this crab!

with barnacles!






and an octopus!




Coral!




and Sea Sponges!






I just love how it turned out!


Life truly does inspire art!


The freeform crochet is so exciting to create because the whole process is so organic!


You make it up as you go and there is no right or wrong!


Just a beautiful form created from your heart.


Each piece is a gift & a surprise every time from a very special place...


Your Heart!


xoxoxox


Melissa


9 comments:

Payton said...

I think I've said it before, but I just have to say it again...you are so creative! Those sea creature are cute!
Love,
Payton

Laura said...

Payton - we all have said it before and continue to say how talented Melissa is - so much fun visiting your blog to see what is new!

Sketching with Dogs said...

I am just in love with all your sea creatures (especially that crab!)
There are so many tiny details to gaze at, they are perfect with the sculptures.
I adore the ceramic pods too, I can feel myself being drawn to her shop - eek!
Hugs, Lynne xx

Southern Fried Pugs said...

Your imagination is unlimited!

Unknown said...

I love the Octopus piece Melissa. The 3D of it all is stunning.

Too Cute Pugs said...

We LOVE these so much, Melissa!

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Tweedles -- that's me said...

The sea creatures are happy!
And that makes me happy! Just look at them and their little personalitys! Little eyes and arms and tenacles!
They each have a special little home to sleep in day or night!
Its all so magical, and we love it all! So fun!
love
twee

marianne said...

They look wonderful! Amazing how creative you are with crocheting!!!!

Have a nice weekend:)
♥ to Archie!

Peng Peng said...

freaking amazing!! love em!