Monday, January 11, 2010

Crochet Hook Case ~ Tutorial

Melanie and I had the best time making crochet hook cases out of felted sweaters and cotton fabrics.

The project was so fast and easy, and it is the perfect place to hold Melanie's new set of crochet hooks.

What a wonderful way to celebrate and honor your crafts by making a neat container to safely hold them in.





Melanie used a combination of a piece of a beige felted wool sweater and two pieces of cotton fabric, a cute red cherry pattern and a whimscial mushroom fabric, that we found at the Quilt-A-Fair show we went to last Fall.

It is so important to pick up fabrics, ribbons and anything that calls to you throughout the year to keep in your stash even if you do not know what you will use it for. It makes those spontaneous projects possible on a random Sunday morning. :)

I was so inspired by Melanie's creation that I made one too!
I used a piece of a grey felted sweater and some retro fabrics that I had in my stash.



Here is a tutorial on how we made them. :)


MATERIALS:

1 piece of craft felt or felted wool sweater : 10.5 x 12"

1 piece of cotton fabric for the lining : 11.5 x 13"

1 piece of cotton fabric for the pocket : 7 x 13"

1 piece of ribbon to tie your roll: approx 16"

Iron

Sewing Machine

Pins


INSTRUCTIONS:


  1. Press your cotton fabrics with your iron.


  2. Iron a 1/2" hem all around each piece so that they now measure 10.5 x 12 and 6 x 12 repectively.


  3. Take the 6 x 12" piece that will be your pocket and sew across the top hem to secure it in place before we piece the whole project together.


  4. Lay your 10.5 x 12" piece of felt (wrong side up) and place your lining fabric (right side up) on top of it.


  5. Place your pocket piece 6 x 12" (right side up with the sewn hem at the top) on the lining piece.


  6. Line your pocket up at the bottom half of your project so that about 4" of your lining piece shows at the top. The 4" top area will flap down over your hooks when you roll your case up.


  7. Pin all 3 pieces together like a fabric sandwich.


  8. Sew around the whole rectangle with fabric side up securing all 3 pieces together.


  9. Measure 3.5" from the top of your case and sew a horizontal line across. (This marks the flap and where you will begin sewing your pockets for your hooks in the next step.


  10. Starting at the left side of the rectangle, mark 8 or 9 pockets that are 3/4" wide from the flap line down to the bottom of the pocket and sew down each mark to form the hook pockets. There will be one larger pocket on the right side to hold your embroidery scissors, and anything else you would like to put there.


  11. Flip your case over and sew your ribbon about 2/3 of the way down your case so that when you fold your flap over the hooks, it will actually look like it is tied in the middle of the case.


Voila! Your crochet hook case is complete!


Please let me know if you make one! I would love to see it!

xoxoxo

Melissa

14 comments:

Manon said...

I love the hook case but let's face it..... i'm never going to do one of these...lol! I'l admire yours instead! : )

Laura said...

How funny that you have posted this because just last night I was looking at some on Etsy. I appreciate the directions - I definitely need to make one as I'm always misplacing my needles!

Ruth Welter said...

This is a wonderful project Melissa and would be great for me, as I"m a beginning knitter and will be needing a place to store needles soon. : )

Ruth

Anonymous said...

LOve the fabrics you guys chose!

I do the same but with paper.. i have a few huge stacks of gorgeous 12x12 paper that i loved and don't know what to do with!! :)

Puglette said...

hi melissa! those needle cases are so cute! i love the use of the felted sweater and how you positioned everything so the cuff of the sweater is your folded over piece. and the interior fabrics are so pretty. i just adore melanie's mushromm fabric. my daughter collects mushroom stuff and that vintage look fabric is just perfect.
thanks for sharing!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Unknown said...

what a smart project Melissa!!! This is wonderful....I need to crochet!!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!!!

Hugs
Diana

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Great project, and like your first commenter probably not something I will ever get to. Both Melanie's and yours are so beautiful.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

How khlever!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Molly the Airedale said...

You girlz are so clever! You'll never have a lost crochet hook ever again!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I thought it was a brush holder, BUT it could be. I just love your creations. Did Emmitt help?

Tweedles -- that's me said...

They are all so colorful and cheery looking.
Everything needs a little bed to sleep in and be nice and snug and cuddly- now they are a happy family of crochet hooks.
love
tweedles

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is gorgeous, thanks for the tutorial, I might just have a bash at making one of those.
Lynne

Red Sewing Box said...

This is really nice, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this tutorial and found it really helpful when I made mine. I found yours on favecrafts.com and linked to it from my blog http://handmadebyclairebear.com/2012/03/10/random-acts-of-sewing/

Thanks
ClaireBear