Thursday, April 25, 2013

DIY - Fabric Flower Tutorial


Hi everyone!

Spring is in the air and Summer is just right around the corner!

Time sure flies when you are having FUN! :)

Thinking of both seasons brings back memories of enjoying Summer Camp when I was a kid and all of the neat art projects we would make!

Do you remember making flowers from dipping bent wire into colorful liquid film and making petals for the bouquet you would bring home at the end of the day?

The film is called "Fun Film" or "Dip-It" and because it uses thinner & solvents to use, I thought to myself, there has to be an easier & non-toxic way of making colorful bouquets that last forever! 

Because I love to use up my stash of supplies that I already have I thought fabric scraps would be the perfect thing to use to make colorful petals in an array of colors & textures!

I wanted to try out my idea as a project Melanie & I can make together this Summer at our Twin Sister's Art Camp Retreat we will spend together in June!

I cannot wait!

I am going to show her how to make these flowers and she is going to show me how to sew fabric houses & cottages made from upcycled felted wool sweaters!

We will be in fabric scrap heaven all weekend! :)

To test out my idea before teaching it, I made the retro-flower pictured above, and I just love how it turned out!

It was super duper easy and fun to do!

It is the perfect project for adults and/or kids to spend a FUN afternoon together, so I have created this tutorial for you to make a bouquet of these flowers at your house too!




Materials you will need:


  • Assorted fabric scraps
  • 8 pieces of wrapped floral wire
  • Elmers or fabric glue
  • Floral Tape
  • Sharp scissors
  • Pom Poms, buttons, beads or any embellishments you would like to form the center of your flower. (not pictured)
  • Butter knife (not pictured)
  • Small pliers to help bend & clip wire ends (not pictured)



Step 1:

Bend top few inches of wire into desired size and shapes of 6 petals and 2 leaves.

Step 2:

Glue wire loops onto fabric pieces and set aside to dry.



Step 3:

Cut tabs all around the loop with sharp scissors almost all the way to the wire but not quite to the end to prevent frayed ends from popping out on the front.

Step 4:

Place a bead of glue on the fabric following the inside of the wire loop.



Step 5:

Trim and fold down tabs all the way around the petal.
Apply a thin layer of glue over back of petal to secure all of the tab ends.



Step 6:

Tip: Let glue dry just a few minutes to get a bit tacky to make it easier to work with.

Press down all of the edges and push a crease in the fabric along the inside of the wire loop to tighten the fabric petal so it is not loose or saggy in the middle.

Repeat process for all 6 petals and 2 leaves.

Set aside and allow them to dry.



Front of  Petal



Back of Petal




Petals & leaves :)




Step 7:

Arrange & bend petals and leaves into desired shape.



Step 8:

Twist wire stems around each other to secure your flower you just created!


Step 9:

Wrap stem with floral tape.



Step 10:

Make your favorite flower center of choice and glue into center of flower.

Ta Da!

You are done!

The was FUN!

Make one or a whole bunch and fill a vase with your new bouquet!

Please let me know if you have any questions at all about how I made this fabric flower and most importantly, relax and have FUN!

Here is a PDF version of the Fabric Flower Tutorial for you to download, print & share. :)

There is no right or wrong in creating art and use this as a spring borad for you own ideas to bloom & grow!

Please let me know if you make these at home!

I would LOVE to see what you create!

xoxoxo
Melissa

5 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

That looks gorgeous Melissa! I bought all the things to make a fabric flower ages ago so now you have written a tutorial I have no excuse, do I :)
Lynne x

Meredith LeBlanc said...

What a fabulous idea, thanks for sharing it Melissa! We bet it smells as sweet as R-Chee :)

♥♥♥
Meredith & Scarlet

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I just knew you would be making something fun and happy again and you did! You made happy flowers!
Its so fun to come see what you have created every day!
love
twee

carol l mckenna said...

Fun, colorful and creative flowers and what fun you and your friend will have creating art work ~ ^_^

Unknown said...

These look really fun! I will make some to send to my sister this week. Can't wait to see your felted houses!