Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fused & Slump Glass Class



Happy Tuesday everyone!

Melanie and I just took another wonderful class through Boulder Valley Life Long Learning.

We tried something we have never done before!

We made coasters and a platter in a fused and slumped glass class.

It is a process very much like creating a mosaic where you use a special kind of fusable glass and put it in a kiln at very high temps to get the design to fuse and then slump or melt into the shape of the ceramic mold you place it in.

Here are Melanie's coasters before they were heated in the kiln.
... and here they are completed!

I love the wildflower designs she created!
I made all 4 of my coasters look similar and cut lots of different shaped glass and glued them down to fuse into a sea of color!

The second week we made our platters that also got slumped into a mold to make them curl instead of stay flat like the coasters.



Mel and I had so much fun making them and now we each have 5 little pieces of art that we just love!

We have signed up for another fiber art class in November at our favorite yarn shop.
I cannot wait to show you what we make!
Are you taking any classes this holiday season?
Please leave me a note and tell me all about them!
I cannot wait to hear!
xoxoxox
m & e

16 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Those glass pieces are really nice, so colorful. You and your sister have so much fun learning all these new things. We just know you are going to create something wonderful in your fiber art class too.

Diane said...

These are amazing, Melissa. I love the bright colors. You & Melanie did some amazing pieces!
xoxo Diane

The Slimmer Pugs, Kitties, and Mama said...

You and your sister make the most amazing things and find such wonderful classes to take...can't wait to see what future classes bring.
-Mindy (Mama #2, The Slimmer Pugs)

Laura said...

It's time, once again, for me to say how amazing you are for all the awesome art projects you try! These pieces look like so much fun to create!

Uji, Angel Izzy, Ziggy, Angel Bean, Angel Hiro and Momma Tea said...

Ohhh they are lovely I am going to see if there is a class like that over here as it looks like it was fun to do

Love
Mollys Momma Tea
x x

Ruby Bleu said...

Melissa they are so awesome...I can see some very cool puggie (and maybe BT) coasters in your future - I hope!!!!


michele (and Ruby too!!!)

Cocorue said...

we like the glass pieces and you sound like you had so much fun making them......thanks for sharing

chikisses
coco

The Devil Dog said...

Aw man, that is so COOL! Mom has always wanted to do stained glass but now she wants to do that as well.

Roxy

Puglette said...

beautiful!! i love all of the vibrant colors you both used. you two have so much fun together. my daughter was lucky to have a glass class in high school. she made some beautiful pieces. she made a beautiful, round platter for me in a sea green color. it's just lovely! can't wait to see what you and melanie work on next!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Unknown said...

Hello Melissa!

I stop by every now and then, but I realize it's been awhile since I said "hello". HELLO! You continue to do wonderful things. The crocheted sushi is really fun. xoxo

Molly the Airedale said...

How pretty! You and your sissy are always doing the neatest stuff, Melissa!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Joan Princing Art said...

Oh! Those are beautiful Melissa. I bet they were tons 'o fun to make!! Have a great day!
Joan & Jane Austen-Eyre!

Sketching with Dogs said...

Wow, those are gorgeous. You are so lucky to have such interesting classes, we have nothing like that here. They are so colourful, they would make gorgeous tiles.
Lynne xxx

Those Elgin Pugs said...

These are beauTeefuls!!!!

Hugs!!
IzZY, Josie and Anakin Man

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Such gorgous colors.
Oh it would be so fun to take a class and learn to do all this fun stuff.
Your pieces that you and Melly created are beautiful
love
tweedles

Vito and Gina said...

Melissa these are SO COOL! Love them!