Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Learning to Spin Yarn with a Drop Spindle

Melanie and I had the best time learning to spin yarn with a drop spindle!

We had no idea what it was all about and we just loved it! Let me say this though ... as with all things that are rewarding, it is not easy! It will take lots of practice for me to make a uniform piece of yarn. However, I will show you that even the most uneven, crazy piece of yarn makes a beautiful piece of art!

I was so impressed that all you need to get started is a drop spindle, wool roving, a leader string and a sense of humor. Here is a great video tutorial that shows what we did in class.

Here is the wool roving before we spun it into yarn.

This is our teacher Maggie Casey. She is an expert in the field and has written books and produced a DVD on the subject. Her store, Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins in my opinion is the most wonderful yarn store in the world! The shop and classroom space cover more than 8,000 square feet chock full of colorful yarns, patterns, buttons, dyes, books, just about anything your heart may desire, located in Boulder, CO.


Here we are plying the two strands of yarns we created. One is blue and the other is white.



Ta Da!


Here is the flower I crocheted from my yarn. I did not know how this yarn that in places looked like thread while in other places looked like Q-tips having a really bad day was going to work up.


I was thrilled! Now I am hooked! I am going to have to get a spindle and start practicing. :)

For our next adventure at the yarn store, Melanie and I signed up to learn how to weave yarn baskets at the end of October. I cannot wait!

15 comments:

Diane said...

Oh my goodness....you are so amazing, Melissa! There is nothing that stops you, is there? I LOVE it. The things you are creating are absolutely fabulous!
xoxo Diane

Mare said...

Oh! I wanna go too!

Unknown said...

How cool Melissy! Now if Emmy only had thumbs, he could hold the ball of yarn for you while you work...

The WriggleButts said...

Oh how FUN!

hugs,
Ane

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

It sure looks like you had fun - look at that smile!!! We can send you lots of our fur if you want to spin husky fur:)

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Manon said...

Looks like fun!! This is just what i was saying in my email...... your energy.... wow!!!

Unknown said...

oh wow!!! what fun Melissa!!! I love your cool flower...what a neat piece....

Hugs
Diana

Anonymous said...

That is pretty cool! What are you using to make the yarn?

Mia said...

Always so creative!!! Can't wait to see the baskets =)

Jess & Lilo

GAIL said...

I so admire you Melissa. This looks really hard to me. You seem to always be challenging yourself. I can't wait to see all your creations!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I khan add to the pile of floof The OP KS Pakhk would send!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Leah said...

how purty!!!

Unknown said...

I am so envious! BTW, did you get your box of yarn yet?

Dutch the Pug said...

We love your craftiness!

Molly the Airedale said...

Is there anything you can't do, Melissa?! Your flower is fabulous!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch