Sunday, August 03, 2008

Anderson Ranch 2008 - Wooden Books

Melanie and Melissa's completed Wooden Books - AR 2008

Melanie and I had an amazing week of learning the art of book binding.

Daniel Essig is an amazing artist. He is a wonderful teacher who shares his art, techniques, patience and knowledge with an open heart. It was a joy to be in his class. Dan is one of the most interesting people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. You can learn more about him and his background here.

There were 8 students in class and all of our books came out so different and wonderful. We all started with the same Mahgony wood covers that we drilled, filed, distressed, painted, sanded and polished. I will show you the class pictures tomorrow. Today I want to show you Melanie and my finished books.



Melissa's Wooden Book



Melanie's Book

Melanie had so many wonderful ideas and added special details to our projects. She brought the Eidelweiss buttons and had the wonderful idea to make bookmarks. Thank you Melly for the perfect final touches!

Inside details:


Melanie's book: Coptic Binding



Detail showing the completed Binding and End Bands.


We created leather closures and Melanie made us the brass posts using a drill press and file.

It was so much fun!


Here is our class. I will show you more of the process and all of their books too. The creative energy was amazing and I feel so lucky to have been a part of this group.

10 comments:

Nichol Brinkman said...

incredible! I love those handmade books. I took a book binding class in college and it was one of my favorite classes. There is something so satisfying about making a functional object like that with materials and tools that people have been using for ages. I am so happy that you and your sister had a great time!

Ritobear said...

WOW those books are BE-U-TI-FUL!!!! I love the pug touch, too. You guys are so creative! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see more pics.

Molly the Airedale said...

The books are just wonderful! What a beautiful job you girls did on them!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see more about them, Melissa. They are so unique and beautiful. I bet Emmy-pants is so glad you are home. Wouldn't it be fun if there were a camp somewhere we could go and take our pugs?
xxoo
Nancy and the fatties

lizzy said...

these are so cool! you guys did an amazing job on those as usual! it looks like you had a great time too. i'm glad you had so much fun there!

Manon said...

The books are so beautiful! Great job girls! What a fantastic class to have been a part of!

The Devil Dog said...

That is so totally cool! You do so many really cool things. I think mom is boring compared to you. ha ha

Roxy

(of course, she was ripping off paneling yesterday and installing luon plywood today (to paint) for her new sewing area.

Sandy Mastroni said...

The books look so amazing . I want to hold one !
and a belated Happy Birthday to Emmitt !

marianne said...

The books you made are really amazingly beautiful! Look forward to see the other pictures!
Love >M<

artpaw said...

Wow. Lovely work! Looks like you had a blast.