Friday, July 03, 2009

Fred's Train - Tunnel and Trees


Today, I am excited to show you how Fred made his tunnel and the trees for his model train layout.

He created the skeleton of the cave with mat board strips and then layered it with plaster paper.







After it dried he put joint compound on the plaster paper for texture and then painted it.


Look how cool it came out!
Then he moved on to the tree kit to make a forest.

The kit comes with bendable tree forms, glue and 3 different shades of green clump material to make the foliage.

First, he bent the trees into natural shapes.


Then he added the special glue that needs to dry a bit before getting really tacky.


The next step is to put the tacky tree forms into the clump material and watch the trees just come to life!


Here is a video of how he made them.


Ta da!
Fred's forest!

I will keep you posted on all of the cool things he creates. I know he will be working on it this holiday weekend.
The next features will be a waterfall for the mountainside and rocks made from silicon forms and plaster!


How fun!






Have a Happy and safe Fourth!

17 comments:

Manon said...

Tell Fred that I think he's doing a terrific job! It's pretty cool!
Happy Fourth Melissa!

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

How impressive!!!! I am blown away by those trees and the greenery! Tell Fred BRAVO on a job well done thus far!

Stubby said...

The tunnel and forest look very cool! I loved the video of the tree creation. It looks like a lot of fun creating trees. I can wait to see the waterfall!

Stubby xoxo

C.l.o.v.e.r. said...

That looks so cool! Nice work! I bet my dad would love this. He made a lot of models as an Architecture student!
xo

Diane said...

Wow! Fred is really having some fun here, I can tell!This will bring him hours of enjoyment. He did a fabulous job! xoxo Diane

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

It is really coming along so well. This project is really making Mom want to find time to refurbish her dollhouse that has sat idle for many years.

Laura said...

I think your talent has rubbed off on him. Now don't you dare show me crafts the dog has done or I'm really going to be mad! LOL! Have a fun holiday weekend!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

WOW!

Now, do woo want some SiberFluff fur some snow scenes?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Salinger The Pug said...

WOW! Must be all that fresh Colorado air that stimulates creativity!

Tell Emmitt to put a few meatloaves in the oven...Holden is packing his bag to come play with that train and Salinger....well, he just likes meatloaf! ;-)

Happy 4th!

Checkers & Chess said...

Fred has a LOT of patience!
I do have a follower widget - we switched to google chrome because we couldn't follow ourself in IE - maybe I should take the widget off

Nancy at the Farm said...

Fred is a real artist! We love his trees, so realistic!

Have a wonderful 4th of July dear friends!

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

GAIL said...

What a fun project! How is that plaster paper to work with? Does it set-up stiff?

Molly the Airedale said...

What beautiful trees Fred created! What an awesome job he's doing on his train project!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Liss said...

I love it, this is just fantastic! My newphew would go nuts if he saw this.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Melissa and Fred
We think Fred is on a roll now! He is a natural at making those trees and that tunnel looks fabulous! How did this little hobby just come to him? There is so much he will be doing soon- i betcha!
Is he going to make a lake?
Wow is this ever cool.
Go Fred GO!
love
tweedles

flanger said...

Thanks everyone - still kinda making this up as I go along. Luckily there is plenty on the web to learn from. I never even thought about it until I read an excellent book by Sam Posey (former Grand Prix racer and ABC sports announcer) called Playing with Trains: Passion Beyond Scale".

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL HOBBY!!!! I LOVE IT!