Monday, August 19, 2013

Batik Lion Pillow


Happy Monday everyone!

I am so excited to show you the 4th batik I just finished!

Last week, I showed you the batik owl pillow I made and now here is a lion!

It was inspired by the lion doll right behind him that I crocheted earlier this year!

I am in the process of making another Tunisian crochet doll now and will get to show him to you soon!







Here is the batik painting before I washed him with the gutta resist still protecting the white areas from the fabric dyes.


...and here he is after he came out of the wash!


I love the dramatic effect of the batik white lines.

It adds so much character to every piece.

Each time I make a batik painting, my favorite part of the process is to pull it out of the dryer to see the final result.


For this pillow I decided to try something new and instead of using a pillow case that was already made, I went into my fabric stash and made one myself!

I even added and orange zipper on the bottom so I could unzip the pillow form from it if I ever wanted to wash or change the pillow inside!


I also added an orange pom pom trim around the lion to have him surrounded by a fun texture and so that he would match the other ones I had already made in my pillow series!


The back of the pillow was created by using a pre-quilted fabric that has the batting sewn right in.

One day I would love to learn how to make a quilt, but until then I will use this option. :)

I love that the fabric is easy to find at Joann Fabrics and that they have lots of colors and patterns to choose from.

I originally purchased this fabric a few years ago when I used it to make my sewing machine cover!



Ta Da!

Here are the 3 batik pillows that I now have smiling at us every time we go into our bedroom. :)

My owl pillow lives in the family room on the chair that greets me every time I come downstairs!


Each one has so much character!

Whether it is a pug painting, a crocheted doll or a new form of art that I try, I never know how it will turn out in the end, but I always LOVE who shows up!

It is FUN to meet them all and welcome them into our home! :)

Please tune in on Wednesday to see the new crazy thing I just made to practice hand sewing zippers into my crochet!

xoxoxox
Melissa & R-Chee

1 comment:

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Oh I cannot even find words to tell you how beautiful all of them are! Such happy pillows!
love
twee