Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Felted Crochet Mushroom

Hi everyone!

I have a fun project to show you that I just finished.

It is a cute felted mushroom box.

Melanie found the wonderful pattern on Etsy from Knot Sew Cute. It is the perfect project to learn how to crochet in the round, increase and decrease stitches and felt a crochet piece.


Here is the mushroom after I crocheted the lid and base.
I used 100% wool worsted weight yarn and a size E hook.

This is my mushroom after I hand felted the 2 pieces with hot water, soap and a lot of rubbing. :)


See how the wool gets fuzzy and tight so that the stitches pull together and almost disappear into a more solid fabric?



After I let it dry overnight, I pulled out my wool roving, and needle felting foam and needle to make the spots for the box lid.




After a few minutes I had my dots and and with a few stabs needle felted them onto the lid.



Ta da!
Isn't it cute?
I think it is perfect to ring in Spring!


and Emmitt thinks it is perfect to store pug cookies!

I love finding new patterns to crochet!

What projects are you working on? Please leave me a comment and let me know. I would love to hear all about it!

Have a super day!

Melissa & Emmitt

24 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is a great little project, I can see Emmitt approves of his new cookie holder!
Lynne xx

Salinger The Pug said...

SO CUTE! Emmitt could wear a pointy hat and stand next to the mushroom like the Travelocity gnome!


You could add sprinkles and make them into cuppycakes!!! Mom saw the pic and thought it was a cuppycake before the spots were added!

You're SO talented Melissa!!!!!! Nice job!

Love,
S-Dog

Pee S. Mom says she's putting together our Lazy Susan post today!

Laura said...

I love what felting does to yarn, and this mushroom is adorable! I've felted in the washing machine, but never by hand - that must have been some work! Great job, as usual, Melissa!

BRUTUS said...

That's the first time I've ever really seen what felting is! Lots of work going into that cute little 'shroom! Reminds me of the ones from the Mario Bros. games. Unfortunately Brutus would have all your hard work chewed & slobbered up in the blink of an eye :( Guess I'll have to be just a casual observer on this one!

Michelle & Brutus

Paula said...

What an adorable new creation Melissa!

Ruth Welter said...

Adorable mushroom Melissa...it is clear that Emmitt loves it as well. Love the birdhouses that you and your sister created at the workshop as well.

Ruth

Too Cute Pugs said...

We love it!

Mom also loves that owl she spied on your couch in the first picture. She's a bit crazy for owls.

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Anonymous said...

That is adorable!

roseworksjewelry said...

That is a really cute project!

Smushie Ranch said...

Noooooo! Emmitt, shrooms are bad for ya, buddy.

Snorts,
Gunther

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Very cute - how big is it? We were trying to think of things to put in it.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Very cute - how big is it? We were trying to think of things to put in it.

Puglette said...

cute, cute, cute! my daughter collects mushrooms so i am always on the lookout for mushies. this is very sweet!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Pugsley and Lola said...

We have a felted pug!!! Mom bought him from an Etsy shop.

Pugs & Kisses
Pugsley & Lola

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

How khute and khlever - as always!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

agent99 said...

No words for the cutness that is your mushroom. But I have this strange urge to ask if you keep stamps inside.... you know, the special halucinogenci kind.

Agent99
Mom to Gen & the Foo

Molly the Airedale said...

How adorable the felted mushroom is! Felting is fun! Mom has made many felted purses!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Dana Orsborn said...

Hi Melissa!

Penny and I love your mushroom.
It came out so great!

We hope you are having a great week!

-Dana & Penny

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Little mushroom is adorable
We want to touch it.
It looks so soft and sweet.
Your sooo fun-
we would love for you to be a teacher at summer camp for my mommy
love
tweedles

Unknown said...

you are always doing new things!!! this is one cool mushroom!!!

Hugs
Diana

Peng Peng said...

felted wool is so sturdy too! Adorable mushroom u made!

crealientje said...

what cute

marianne said...

Super cute!!!

ocmist said...

That is just an adorable mushroom. I’ve just recently heard of needle felting and find the look to be very interesting. It would be great for toys for kids! I’m working on a crocheted shell baby blanket right now… have been for a while. It is hard to find time to work on it. Linda (OC’s Mom)