Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Basket Weaving 101


Thank you so much for the wonderful birthday wishes yesterday! It really made the day extra fun! :)

As an early celebration, Melanie and I took a basket weaving class this past Sunday, and it was so much fun!

We started making our yarn baskets and are probably about 1/2 way done.

I am looking forward to this Saturday morning when we get together again and finish them.


I love taking classes at our favorite yarn store. Here is the classroom!

Look at all the pretty rattan weavers!




Here is Melanie working on her basket.




This is my basket so far...




and this is Melanie's...


I like that the yarn basket has an open top with no handle. I think it looks more like a woven bowl.
I will make more baskets in the future. It is very relaxing and each one is unique.
Our teacher, Margaret, was so right when she said the basket makes itself. We can help shape it, but it has its own personality and plan for how it will ultimately turn out.

I promise to show them to you again when they are all done. :)
Have you tried basket weaving before? What is your favorite structure to make?

20 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Mom has made baskets before - melon baskets and berry baskets and egg baskets and onion baskets, and it's lots of fun. Your baskets are coming along beautifully, Melissa!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Manon said...

Very cool Melissa!! I'm impressed girlfriend!!

hugs,
manon

The Devil Dog said...

Those are very cool. Love the purple bottom.

Happy Birthday!

Roxy, Lucky & Mom

Nevis said...

very cool! I love handmade baskets. My mom used to make them when I was a kid and I although thought it was very cool!

Sunny said...

Is there anything artsy/crafty that you can't do?! I'm endlessly impressed by how much you accomplish!

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa! Those baskets are so pretty. Mom is basket crazy and has always wanted to learn to weave, but she hasn't found any classes near us. I can't wait to see the finished baskets.

Stubby xoxo

Nancy at the Farm said...

Your baskets are soooo beautiful! I bet Emmit would like one for his toys or at least that is what his long distance phone call to us said! BOL! You both are so talented, we just love seeing your new creations!

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

Kelly said...

Those are beautiful, Melissa! What a fun class to take!
Maybe you could make Emmy a meatloaf basket?!

Unknown said...

Wow these are beautiful! What will you be doing next? Painting the ceiling of the sistine chapel? Sky writing? Landscape art? : ) Annie loves to chew baskets and wonders if they come in peanut butter flavor Aunty Melissy?
xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful baskets, I love that Melanie chose that purple color, very neat!

I don't think I have ever made a basket before. :)

The WriggleButts said...

How fun! There's so much stuff I'd love to try.

Hugs,
Ane

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

No, never done basket weaving - it looks quite intricate. Bet those baskets will be just beautiful when you are done.

Unknown said...

Wow!!! I love those colors! I tried it once and it ended up looking like a giant hair ball.

Tara's Art Camp said...

I love hand made baskets and I admire your patience for making them.

Unknown said...

You are such a wizard, my dear Melissa. I think I wished your sister and NOT you a Happy Birthday yesterday. Sorry! Happy belated, my friend!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Great kholours!

Tank woo fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Dutch the Pug said...

Woo hoo basket weaving looks mucho fun! I would like to curl up in your new basket and take a nap!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your ribbed basket is off to a great start! How cool for your yarn store to offer basket classes.
I'll be anxious to see the finished basket!
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com

Jill Beninato said...

Melissa, you and I are so alike...We both love to try new things! I sometimes feel like the jack of all trades, master of none!

Unknown said...

that is so neat Melissa!!! I wish I had some cool classes to take around here....I love these baskets!!! wonderful work!!!

Hugs
Diana