Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Fiber Art Project ~ Bobble Window Shade

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I am sooo excited to show you what Archie and I just made from our favorite crochet Round Ornament Pattern.

After having so much fun making our Magic Bubbles Fiber Art Sculpture, we had another idea of how to decorate our home with them!


A Window Shade!





Isn't it pretty?


We made it from a tie holder thingy we found at our new Denver IKEA while shopping there a couple of weeks ago.



There was a whole bin of them just sitting there at $8 each!



I held it up admiring the crochet covered circles all joined together complete with a hanger hook smiling with excitement.



28 circles meant I could make 28 more bobble ornaments to enjoy!






+






=




This wonderful new window shade for my bathroom!



It lets in light and provides privacy too!



My husband Fred was so impressed, he asked me to make one for the upstairs bathroom too.

You should have seen my face light up!

28 more bobbles to make!

Yipppeeeee!







Archie and I got started in bobble production right away!



I use Lion Brand Amazing Yarn in several of their different colorways to make the bobbles.



I love them all so I used all the ones I own.


You can pick all of your favorites or even just one ball as the colors change throughout each skein and you will have a rainbow of bobbles even by using one skein of your favorite colors!


Then when I am done making all 28 bobbles, I just sew each one inside a ring of the IKEA Tie Holder Hanger with a little stitch using white thread.


Easy Smeasy!


Hmmmm!



Looks like my bobble production partner got himself kinda sleepy!




Boooom! ZZZZZzzzzzzz



Yep!



No worries!



I'll wake Archie in plenty of time before dinner! :)



What could be better than an afternoon of enjoying the new Fall breezes blowing in with a sleeping pug in my lap and my favorite yarn wrapped around my busy hands?

Fun! Fun! Fun!



If you would like to make one too, here is the free pattern for the bobble ornaments and a link to IKEA.


If your IKEA does not sell them online, check EBAY. I found several available at very reasonable prices.


What fun things are you up to today?



Please leave us a note and let us know!



We cannot wait to hear all about it!



xoxoxo


archie & melissa

12 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Your bobble window shade is adorable, Melissa and is so cheeful! You are such a creative person! We love everything that you do!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That is really beautiful and so creative - you have quite the clever mind. And that yarn sure IS amazing!!!

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Ritaestelle said...

Great project! So practical yet so fun! If one couldn't find a tie holder thingy, I bet those circles could be made with pipe cleaners - maybe even with different colors! Snuggles to Archikins :D

Liss said...

Oh I just love this. Those are sooo cute. I also adore your new header!

Today I'm hoping to get over this cold that attacked me on Sunday. Yesterday I felt horrible, today much better. :)

I also got a new job a few weeks ago. I'm with the same company, but I'm a reporter now in the Kentucky office. Will be doing some interviews today ad hopefully file away two stories. Fun fun.

If I feel up to it tonight I'm going to work on the church bulliten, CT Review, clean, and pay bills.

Lisa M Griffin said...

What fun! Great idea Melissa. :)

agent99 said...

Great idea and great post! Love what a fabulous "helper" Archie is!

PETA, Gen & the Foo

Payton said...

I don't blame Archie for getting tired, that looks like hard work to me! I'm going to "help" mom with the laundry today and then I think we'll go for a walk this afternoon!
Love,
Payton
PS. That picture of Archie licking your chin is precious!

Barbara said...

I have one of those holding my scarves right now!! I just need 28 bubbles! I can't follow crochet directions - for some reason they make no sense to me...so...

AdrieneJ said...

This is fabulous! I can only imagine what my friend's cats would make of it...

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We are having so much fun looking at all your photos! The bobble bubbles look so happy ,.,, they make us smile! They are so cheery!
And sweet little Archie,, oh he just worked too hard.
Precious photos,, and especially the one of him kissing you!
Thank you for sharing all this fun stuff with us!
love
twee

Sketching with Dogs said...

You are a genius Melissa!
I love this shade sooooo much I could scream!
I could barely crochet fast enough to get mine finished and it looks superb!
Hugs, Lynne xx

Peng Peng said...

you silly bobble-head! :)
that is a neat curtain for sure! good thing you dont have a cat 'cos they would go nutso on it (little yarn balls, oh my!).

sounds like u had a perfect day making bobbles :) xoxo