Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lion Squares for Charity



I had so much fun crocheting elephant and lion squares for the Knit-A-Square charity this month.

The August Challenge was to make our squares in a African Theme. I made 10 elephant squares and 6 lion squares in lots of bright colors.


Elephant Squares
Lion Squares


I love the 3-D effect that the elephant ears and trunks & the lion manes give to the squares.

I think they will look so cute sewn into blankets with everyone else's squares that come from all over the world.

The Knit-A-Square Charity is truly amazing for all the work they do to keep the children in South Africa warm.

Many of the children have HIV or AIDS and often sleep outdoors or in very cold conditions.

They often have just one set of clothes that they wear all week and then have barely anything on the day they do laundry. The blankets, vests, sweaters and hats that are created really provide alot of warmth and comfort for them.

I am so impressed with the connections Knit-A Square creates all over the world.

Not only do they work tirelessly to create these blankets from our indiviual squares and get them into the communities, but they also have an online forum for people from all over the world to communicate and share their ideas, squares and friendship.
If you remember, the July Challenge was to make blankets and hats for the newborns and toddlers.
The new September Challenge is to create "Go-Over" sweaters for the bigger children to wear over their all of their existing clothes like a wearable blanket. One of the KAS members developed and shared her free pattern made out of the squares we already make. We just sew them together in panels and fold longer ones in tubes for arms and it is complete.

Two examples of "Go-Over" Sweaters

I am so excited to start my first one. I read about the pattern last night before I went to sleep and woke up with a design idea for mine. I hope to make at least 2 by the end of September.

I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. :)

23 comments:

ocmist said...

I love it when I get a chance to come over and catch up on your blog! You are just so creative and have so many helpful ideas. I wish I had time to try them ALL! Those Elephant and Lion squares are just adoreable... Bet they'd make good potholders too with an extra back put on them. I've so a TON of yarn around here from several years ago when I was doing a lot of crochet. People heard I was doing it and sent me more! I haven't even been able to freecycle it all away! Wish you lived around here!

The Bookmarks are a really great idea, too, and I like them much better than business cards for some situations.

I'll also have to check out that quilt magic place. Sounds really interesting! Well, got to go for now as it's after 2:15 a.m. Thanks for such an interesting blog!

Manon said...

Melissa,
You are such a giving soul! We should all be like you. You're making a difference.... you should be proud!!
I'm proud of you!

hugs
manon
xo

JudyMackeyart said...

Melissa - The elephant and lion squares are so cute!! Where do you find the time? You really are my hero!
Judy

Molly the Airedale said...

We just love the lion and elephant squares! The blankies will be so cute and USED!
What a neat sweater idea!
You're such a loving, giving person, Melissa!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Ruth Welter said...

Melissa, you squares just keep getting better and better...more creative too. Love that sweater you are showing.

Ruth

Mare said...

I LOVE that sweater idea! You are amazing Melissa. And those sweet squares will look absolutely adorable in a little blanket somewhere, keeping a little one warm

Lisa M Griffin said...

What lovely pieces - I am in awe of all that you do and GIVE to those around you. Wonderful share Melissa. =)

Kelly said...

oh those Lion squares might be my favorites yet!! They are so cute!

You continue to amaze me with your work and your giving spirit, Melissa! I am so happy to know you!

Nevis said...

Very cute! you could crochet your own snuggie/slanket like tha!

Anonymous said...

I am in love with the lions and elephants!
You could do an elephant sweater too..

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa!

You are such a wonderful inspiration! I am grateful to know you, and to be able to read about all the amazing things you do.

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

so so incredible - but no one would want my knitting

Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

GAIL said...

You have been blessed with talant and a giving heart. What a wonderful combo!

Mia said...

Love the elephant squares!!!!! I can not wait to see the sweaters when they are done. You are so creative and so giving!! You are truly an inspiration to us all!!!

Jess & Lilo

Stubby said...

Hi Melissa & Emmitt! Those lion and elephant squares are just too cute! The kids are going to love them and keep them close to their hearts for a long time.

I can't wait to see your go-over sweaters. They look really cool and the big kids will love them.

Stubby xoxo

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Once again, woo are just sooo khlever and khreative!

More importantly, woo will be responsible for lots of smiles and giggles khoming from a place where the kids don't usually get the chance fur that!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

The lion and elephant squares are so adorable.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

I love those lion and elephant squares, they will make a great blanket. Good luck with the sweaters - what a great way to do something for the older children too.

nanke's stuff said...

The lion and elephant squares are the best and the children will love them! What a wonderful thing to do. My hat's off to you and your friends. nancy

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Melissa
We love the lion and elephant sqaures.
You are going to make so many people happy.
And ya know what else?
The whole world loves you, and the whole world knows your name!
GIVE=MELISSA
love
tweedles

Fannie said...

Wonderful!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes Melissa!!! you have been ever so busy!!!! I am taking some design courses and using the entire Adobe suite now...it is amazing!!! but there is so much to learn....I wish I was a sponge so I could take everything in!!! quickly ....

Hugs
Diana

Leah said...

Those lion squares are AWESOME!!!