Thursday, July 19, 2007










Book Arts Class
I am having so much fun in my week long book arts class at the Art Student's League of Denver. Day One: We made our papers for our books for the week. It was so much fun! Half the day was spent making paste paper for our book covers. It is a fun technique that reminds me of printmaking and painting where you add pigment (acrylic paint in our project) to paste (flour and water cooked slightly to a gel format) and applying it to damp paper (Mohawk Super Fine). We then made impressions, designs, lines - anything goes - and hung them up to dry. The second half of the day, I made paper to use inside the books with potato printing. Your stamp is a potato that you carve and add paint to to make your impression. This is my kind of fun! The rest of the week we are using the paper to create dozens of book structures. I love this class! The mixed media class I took at the beginning of the year at the League taught me to journal and create art/ideas inside of a book. This class is teaching me the art of making the book itself. I get to sew, fold, cut, paint, design and create. All of my favorite things!

No comments: