Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fun Square Update and A Crochet Bouquet

Hi everyone! I just had the most wonderful gift delivered to me by way of e-mail all the way from South Africa!

Do you remember these bobble squares I made for the Knit-A- Square Charity that makes wonderful blankets for needy children in South Africa?

Well, I sent them off weeks ago with a smile and good wishes for them to arrive safely and to one day keep a small person warm and happy in their part of the world. I often leave the post office hoping that the package will arrive and imagine what squares they will be combined with to make someone happy.

Well this morning I got my wonderful newsletter from Sandy in Australia who put together this whole wonderful project and guess what?!...

The last picture is a blanket made with my bobble squares! They arrived safely and I can see the finished blanket! It brought tears to my eyes like I was seeing old friends!

Here is the blanket and the newsletter!

Wow! I am not only amazed at the wonderful work Knit-A-Square does, but the dedication to keeping everyone around the world really in the loop like we are right there helping them sew the squares together into blankets. Click here to read the past newsletters and subscribe too. They are so inspiring!

In other fun crochet news... I finally got to try out my new book on making crocheted flowers!

Posies


Pansies

I give the book 2 thumbs up on originality and great photographs. However, if you are a beginner, I would not choose this as your first book as there is no glossary of stitches or directions on how to make them if you need help or a reminder. I found myself checking my other books on creating some of the stitches or looking them up online.
Other than that, I had a fantastic time making these little posies and pansies. I will definitely be making more. They are fast and a great way to use up little pieces of yarn in my stash!

What projects do you like to make that you feel are fun and fast? Please leave a comment and let me know. I would love to try them too!

Have a wonderful day!

23 comments:

Manon said...

I'm so happy Melissa that your squares arrived safely! They look fantastic!
The crochet flowers would look great as pins!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Wow Melissa, what a thrill to see all your beautiful work used in that colorful and lovely blanket. Thanks for sharing all your hard work. =)

Rosie said...

Melissa,
That is so very very cool!
Loves from pugs,
Rosie Marie

Ruth Welter said...

Melissa, your squares look so beautiful in that blanket..beautiful job on your part as well as the person that made that lovely blanket with them.

You should be proud.

Ruth

Laura said...

How fun to be able to see your squares in the finished product! Love the flowers too. I've tried making a few from patterns and they do turn out cute.

Nevis said...

Wow Mel, that story with your squares and the finished photo is totally awesome! So rewarding!

Kelly said...

Melissa, it is SO nice to see your squares right there in that blanket! What a wonderful thing!

Unknown said...

Melissa, that is so heartwarming. This post brings back such fond memories, my mom used to make these crocheted flower creations when we were very young!
pugghugs to you and EmmyPants...

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We love the pansies!

Tank woo fur sharing all of your efFURts with us!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa....that is so exciting!!! what a wonderful e-mail to receieve!!!!

you always give....your heart is so big and you are so special!!!!

Hugs
Diana

Candace Trew Camling said...

my favorite fun and fast project is getting out my watercolor sketchbook and just drawing something quickly from life and loosely painting it!!
I also love to sew little ornaments out of felt!

Liss said...

How nice. These are lovely.

artpaw said...

what a wonderful project!

Eduardo said...

What a wonderful quilt! My favorite project is destuffing stuffies as fast as I can! My Mommy loves to design blogs, that is fun & sometimes fast for her!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh, your blankie iw beautiful. Mom loves to crochet - she may have to take a look at that flower book.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Fannie said...

melissa, it must feel warm to know that your squares are a part of a finished blanket. good for you! thanks for the update, and I enjoyed the book review and your posies and pansies, too.

Diane said...

Hi Melissa,
I love your squares & the flowers are just adorable. Beautiful work!
xoxo Diane

GAIL said...

That blanket is extraordinary! I wish I had your talent. I find decoupaging quite fast, fun and simple. Kisses to Emmitt.

Puglette said...

melissa what a wonderful post! i loved hearing about your squares and now to see them in the finished blanket is just the icing on the cake!! what a heartwarming story.
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Unknown said...

You are SO cool. What an inspiration you are to me, Melissa!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Melissa,
Seeing your little squares all sewn into a blanket, made my moms hearts feel so happy for you. And happy for the ones who will wrapping themselves up in these blankets. We could see each of your squares in that blanket. I know it must have been a shock for you to see them. You are so giving and one talented gal! And the flowers- well yes, each and everyone are precious and we have some! What an inspiration you are. We are so honored to know you.
love
tweedles

Unknown said...

Those pansies are adorable!! I wish I could crochet!

Molly the Airedale said...

The blankie is fabulous! What a work of art!
Mom is in love with your crocheted pansies! They're so adorable!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch