Monday, February 18, 2013

PostCard Book 2 ~ Ooodles of Doodling FUN!



Happy Monday everyone!

I had so much FUN this weekend making a book out of the regular old postcards I got in the mail from companies advertising their services and upcoming events.

I love to save ones that are different sizes to use for a rainy day.

I learned how to make these books from the super talented Carla Sonheim in the art retreat Melanie and I took last last Fall by Art Camp for Women.

Here is Melanie's book, and here is mine from our class.

She also has the complete drawing and book project instructions in her new gorgeous book, Drawing & Painting Imaginary Animals.

Melanie and I loved making these books so much that I have been just waiting for a quiet weekend to sit down and make another one!

These animals and books are so magical because you never know what you are going to see, make & create on every page!

I was even surprised that this book evolved to be vertical in orientation instead of horizontal although the pages do whimsically spin from vertical to horizontal within the book too!

You do not have to buy any expensive art materials to make these.

As I described above, the postcards were free in the mail, and I just used some of my gesso, kid's dry watercolors, a white paint marker, colored pencils and a black sharpie marker to make all of these amazing creatures.

The black tape I used was actually just regular old electrical tape I found in Fred's tool box!

How fun is that?

The whole book has a wonderful flow and unfolded in the photos series documented for you below.




























What a FUN way to spend the weekend!
I felt like a little kid again.

R-Chee slept on my feet while I colored. :)

Please let me know if you make one of these books too!

I would LOVE to see!

xoxoxo
Melissa & R-Chee

8 comments:

Laura said...

You have to be the most talented person on the planet! Such a cute creation!

Sketching with Dogs said...

I just love it, I really do!
The animals are so beautifully painted.
Lynne x

kathleen codyrachel said...

I have been saving all those postcards for something & thanks to you I know what I'll be doing - though not able to be in Carla's newest class - the Year of the Giraffe - I am thinking a postcard book of my idea of a giraffe would put a few of those cards to great use!!!! Thank you so much -- I am in love with all your creatures & their new home!

kathleen codyrachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly the Airedale said...

It's fabulous, Melissa! Everything you create is a winner!

Love ya lots
Mitch and Molly

Lori Wostl said...

So absolutely fun and adorable! Lori W at Art Camp for Women

Tweedles -- that's me said...

you know how to make magic come alive! your so creative and you are so fun!
love
twee

Anonymous said...

Love this doodle book ~ and the 'how to' is wonderful! Love the animals ~ ^_^