Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Art from Alaska!


Happy Wednesday everyone!

Melanie and I had so much fun shopping in Alaska.

Each town featured lots of little art galleries that support local artists.
The piece above is a tiny totem pole to remind me of the gorgeous ones we saw at every port.

This little eskimo is a needle book made of felt.

I found a little pug button and sewed it to her. Isn't it cute?


Melanie and I each got one of these bear ornaments.
The original image was created from a linoleum carving.



I was thrilled to find this cupcake pin cushion made from a recycled sweater in one of the many quilt shops.


I also found this glass button in the same quilt shop to remember the amazing fireweed flowers growing everywhere!



My favorite find was this art doll!


Look at the detail in her wooden face!


...and of course I had to get something to remember the otters!
They were like pugs in water!
The older otters' little faces even turn grey like my Emmitt.
These creatures just make me smile!

I know Melanie and I will go back to Alaska one day.
It is a magical place, and we just scratched the surface of things to do and see!
Where is your favorite place to visit?
Please leave me a note and let me know. I cannot wait to hear all about it!
xoxoxo
Melissa

14 comments:

Liss said...

Nifty stuff I love the otters!

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Melissa, love the treasures you found is Alaska. My mother in law has been there and loved it also. I'll have to scroll through your posts to see more of your vacation photos. I just got back from a trip as well....tis the season I guess. : ) Welcome home.

Ruth

Mia said...

Melissa, great finds!! They are all going to make amazing additions to your collections!!

~hugs~

Jess & Lilo

Puglette said...

hi melissa! you always find the neatest stuff!! i love the little needle case, so sweet. the little pug button is a perfect finishing touch.

i loved our trip to kauai. i truly could stay there forever.

someday i would like to visit the scandinavian countries to see where my family came from.
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Tara's Art Camp said...

Such lovely finds

Linda O'Neill said...

I love that doll too!...great finds, Melissy!

Sketching with Dogs said...

Wow, what fantastic keepsakes, I love them all, you chose some gorgeous things.
Wags, Dip Bridge and Elliot xx

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

So many beautiful things. We like the art doll and the totem pole best. We bet you came home with lots of ideas for your own crafts.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Oh Melissa!!

We love your finds!! Especially 'da Otters!! 'Day do looks likes us!! Hee Hee!!

Mommy and Daddy visit Lake Geneva on 'dere anniversary in 'da falls.
They love 'da little shops and the trees turning colors and the champagne brunch boat tour.

Daddy eats at his favorite place Popeyes, butt its not 'da chicken Popeyes.. its a lobster and steak ones. Mommy likes its too, butt she gets 'da burgers...hee hee!!

Loves,
Izzy, Josie and Anakin Man

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What khool stuffs!

Thanks fur sharing them with us!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Molly the Airedale said...

You bought home many sweet and beautiful memories of Alaska, Melissa!
We love Nantucket best!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Melissa
what wonderful treasures you found!
Oh I love the totem pole and bear and otters, The button is awsome, and the little doll. All your treasures are so colorful and cheery.
Your right - the otters remind me of puggys too.
love
tweedles

Salinger The Pug said...

WOW! LOVE your Alaskan treasures!!!

We missed you!

Love,
S-Dog

JJ Lynne said...

The otter artwork and bear ornament are my favorite pieces among your newly acquired treasures. I am glad you found so much beauty in Alaska!

I love to visit the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I don't get to travel much, but that is only 2 hours away and the scenery is breathtaking year round. It's fantastic!

Concord, MA is amazing, too. That's only an hour away, so I visit often. Louisa May Alcott was born and lived there, so it's especially meaningful to me because she's one of my favorite writers. If you ever come to New England, you'll have to stop in and take a tour of her lovely home, The Orchard House.

pug hugs!

-Jess, JD, & Ringo